Friday, March 26, 2010

Enjoyed Hatchet Bay; Sheet Music on Way to Abacos; I'm in FL for Wedding

Postings from my log book:

Saturday, March 21: Pulled anchor at 9 a.m. for Hatchet Bay. It was a following sea with two foot waves, so we pulled the main sail for stabilization and balance. We motored at 2600 rpms and SOG was 5.4-6 knots with 7.5 knots of wind. We were rolling side to side. The sail helped a lot.


Another front is coming. I’m trying to get to FL for my niece, Cassie’s, wedding. And this front is messing up my hopes of being to The Abacos islands to catch a flight.

Transportation is different on each island. Some have ferries, some have charter flights. I haven’t even had Internet access for a week so I can’t even research what is available. I’m relying on cruising guides for information at this point.

We arrived at Hatchet Bay and only one mooring ball was available. Bum’s Rest took that, which left us on the concrete sea wall. Chuck was not too pleased with that, since the winds were coming from the West and would blow us into the sea wall.

We stayed the night and walked around the island. We decided that we would move in the morning to anchor, if no balls became available. We didn’t put the motor on the dinghy, so Chuck rowed us around the harbor. While rowing around the harbor, we met Tutti and Pat Phelan sailing on Keltic Kat, a 30 ft. Nonsuch, a very nice couple from Canada.

After sitting in the dinghies talking for a half hour or so, we went back to Sheet Music so I could take my laptop up to the little restaurant at the top of the hill. Francis and Gina are the proprietors and have a cute, little place there. We were due for dinner at Bum’s Rest in less than an hour.

Meanwhile, Tutti and Pat went over to speak to Wayne and Patti on Bum’s Rest. Patti invited them to join us for dinner. She made a big salad, turkey casserole, mashed potatoes and corn. Tutti brought homemade cookies for dessert. Yum.

We also met Sue and Earl from My Bonnie and the people sailing on Witchcraft.

Sunday, March 22: I woke up to the sound of a thunderstorm. After the worst of the storm passed, Chuck put out the rain catcher, getting about 2.5 gallons of water. Good, I could wash my hair!

We had breakfast and moved the boat to the West side of the anchorage for the blow that was coming. We anchored in 4.5 feet of water at low tide. We put the motor on the dinghy and he took me to the Front Porch to get online to see if I could book a flight to Florida.

I lucked out. I caught a Southern Airways charter from Governor’s Harbour, where we were two days before. It’s a 20 minute taxi ride. I’ll end up on four flights to get there, but at least I can get there. I have mixed emotions. I don’t want to miss this wedding for anything in the world, but I feel bad leaving Chuck and Jazzy on Sheet Music and want to get back as quickly as possible.

I had to book a one-way flight because I don’t know where they will be on Saturday or Sunday when I’ll return. The wedding is Friday night. I used Skype to call the bride, and my sister, and got their voice mail! I called my mom and she was screaming and crying and laughing at the same time.

A few minutes later, I was able to reach Penny and Cassie. They were screaming and crying too.

I will make my flight to Sheet Music in Marsh Harbour in The Abacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment