Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We're at Deltaville Marina

After a hair-raising day, we landed at Deltaville Marina about 1 p.m. We left Ingram Bay at 9 a.m. through a very narrow channel, with 2 ft. of water on one side of us and 3 ft. on the other. About 45 minutes into the trip, I went downstairs for about two minutes and I heard Chuck holler.

We caught a crab trap. With the rough seas, he didn't see it until the last second and couldn't get out of the way and our speed slowed way down, so he knew we caught it on one of our rudders. I grabbed his Leatherman tool and open the knife. I took the wheel and he hung off the back of the boat and cut the line to the trap.

About 10:45 a.m. the seas were very rough so we reefed the main sail. We couldn't go faster than the waves because we didn't want the boat to "broach." (How's that Steve? LOL).

Bum's Rest was out in front of us. I didn't finish securing the downstairs before we caught the crab trap and the coffee pot flew into the sink and soaked my mail to Maryann and Faye. That's what I get for not getting them to a mailbox. They've been sitting here all week!

I grabbed the ginger gum to ward off nausea. Between the big fishing boats and the fish factory smell, I was feeling sick to my stomach. We were looking at satellite weather and home is getting slammed with rain and there's a huge storm from Va. to Georgia.

To add to our day, about 12:30 p.m. our GPS lost satellite and showed that we were in Williamsburg, Va.! So I went down to get the 492 Garmin out of the V-berth and the hand-held from the ditch bag and we plugged those in while we rebooted the 4208 GPS. Of course, all that happened while we were getting near the narrow Deltaville Channel.

Long story short, we arrived safely, the GPSs are all working just fine and we're off past Norfolk tomorrow to the entrance of the Dismal Swamp canal.

My turn to cook dinner, so I'd better get at it!

2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow!! We know what it's like to have things going wrong at the sametime. At least Chuck could cut the trap, and the GPS started working. I was feeling ECKY also. The ginger tablets really helped plus chewing the ginger gum. I was warm though with my foul weather pants on,gloves, scraf, hat and Sailor wraped around my middle in my foul weather pants. HEHE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some real boat travel right there. Most days are good, some -- not so much. Glad you were safe and sound. Thanks for the boaty language Kathy. If you were cautious about broaching you must have almost been surfing? --Steve

    ReplyDelete