Friday, January 1, 2010

Fun Celebrating New Year's in Key West; High Winds Tonight


We had fun celebrating New Year's Eve in Key West. We went to dinner at Pepe's, the island's oldest eatery. Chuck and I had Surf and Turf and a cranberry margarita. Delicious.

Then we decided to walk uptown for a while and check things out and Chuck and I planned to walk back to the marina for the wench lowering at midnight.

When we got to Duval St., the crowd was starting to build. The DJ was throwing beads off the roof and there was music blaring in the streets. We had fun catching beads and were packed like sardines by 11:30 p.m. We couldn't have left if we wanted to, but were having fun so ended up staying there until midnight to see the Conch shell drop.

I stuck the camera in front of us and took this photo. Wayne didn't make the picture...he was back a little bit from us b/c people kept moving and we'd move up.


Today, Chuck took the Yankee Freedom II to the Dry Tortugas National Park. He had a good time and took lots of video. The water is even prettier there.The second largest brick structure in the world is there, second only to the Great Wall of China.

Meanwhile, I did three loads of laundry, gave Jazzy a haircut and a bath (Patti helped hold and calm her while I clipped her).




Then I took the bedding to the local laundromat, where there's larger washers. (The sleep system takes a big washer b/c it's a queen-size sleeping bag with winter and summer sides.)

I waited two hours for the stupid thing to dry, then it started to rain so I had to wait about 20 minutes before I could head back to the boat since I forgot my oversized Ziploc bags.

When there was a break in the rain, I made a run for it to the marina (3 blocks) and it started to spit when I reached the Waterfront grocery store, right off the dock. I put my laundry under the big overhang and went inside and bought lawn and leaf bags. I put the laundry in two of them and poked a hole in one to put over Jazzy. Since she just had a bath, I wanted her to stay white for at least a few days!

It was absolutely pouring at that point, so the grocery store let me put Jazzy in a cart and stay in the store. Key West is very animal-friendly and animals are welcome almost anywhere.


I only bought a few things since my cart was already overflowing with laundry. I got back to the dock in the rain and stepped onto the bow with Jazzy in one arm. I put her on the boat and took off the bag that was keeping her dry, then went back for my laundry. Now remember, we have to get on and off the boat by stepping on the bow and it's a few feet away from the dock, not an easy feat in good weather and with both hands!

Here's how we get on and off the boat. It's harder than it looks!

Somehow, I managed to get everything back on the boat. Unfortunately, the wet suits and lycra skins that finally dried after 4 days were still outside and got soaking wet again. Such is life on a boat...there always seems to be wet things around and you just don't know where to put them.

Patti made meatball subs and Doritos nacho cheese chips for dinner. And chocolate chunk cookies for dessert with coffee. I need to cut down on calories...the clothes are getting tight. It's not enough that I'm gaining a few pounds...our clothes are shrinking from the hot dryers in the laundromats everywhere. Ugh.

The winds are really whistling out there tonight and we're sure glad we're at a marina, not in the mooring field. We're really rocking and rolling here...those poor souls out there are really struggling.

Winds are gusting to 30 mph! Chuck moved the dinghy to the side of the boat. It's bringing in a cold front and is only supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow. Back to long pants and sneakers again! Guess I'll get to wear my new Key West sweatshirt.

Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment