Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Arrived in Daytona Safely, then Fell Off the Boat and Injured My Back! Visit from Friends

Monday, Nov. 4

The sun was bright and shining at 6:45 a.m. when we launched due to the time change. Winds were high, 20-25 with gusts near 30.

The Crescent Beach Bridge was in 10 miles away and opens on demand. We reached SM 790 at 8:10 a.m.

At Fort Matanzas inlet, the markers were drastically changed from the last trip and, again, our GPS showed we were in the marshes. The sun went in for a while and it was cloudy and cool for about an hour before it came from behind the clouds.

The tide and current were pushing us at 10 earlier this morning, but was over our bow by 11 a.m. and was slowing us to 7.4. We were heeling without any sail out.

While going through Ormond Beach, we noted the ICW was wide, but the channel was very narrow. Winds were 18 knots.

We heard from our old Atlantic County Harley club friends, Cliff and Carol, who winter here, and invited them to Sheet Music to visit. I took Jazzy for a little walk after greeting them at the gate. When I got back to the boat, I lifted Jazzy up and went to jump up without realizing I didn’t have a hold on the boat and went down backwards, falling on the concrete finger pier/dock. I laid there for more than 10 minutes, breathing short, shallow breaths, which Chuck was panicking asking if I need an ambulance. It hurt so bad and my back was spasming. Thankfully, I was able to get myself together and Chuck lifted me up. I took a flexeril and ibuprofen right away.

I slept in the salon with ice packs off and on all night. My back is hurting, but I am better than I expected to be today. My shin took a few good hits on the way down, so I expect to see bruising tomorrow.

My sister, Susie, and her husband, Mike, are here celebrating their wedding anniversary. My sister and mom will be here around 3 p.m. Penny did some bulk provisioning for me and will take me to Publix for perishable groceries when they get here. Later tonight, my niece Lisa and her family and my niece, Lynn, are coming from Jacksonville to join us for dinner.


Looking forward to spending time with family and hoping my back holds out!
Sunrise leaving St. Augustine mooring field.

Daytona has the most beautiful bridge we've seen yet
 with tile mosaics of manatees and dolphins.


Adjusting the spring lines.

Cliff and Carol came to visit!

Laying on ice pack after falling on concrete floating pier. Stupid!

1 comment:

  1. Omg!!! If it doesn't get better, go get checked. Sending hug /kisses. Make sure you hang on too. XOXO

    ReplyDelete