Saturday, October 19, 2013

Anchored in Pungo Creek, SM136 on ICW

I woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of pouring rain. I catnapped after that until the alarm went off at 6:15 and handed the VHF radio to Chuck to listen to the weather.

We booted up the computer and looked at a few weather sites. There was a big band of rain coming through, but it looked like it would be gone by 7:30 a.m., so we put on our rain gear. I ran to Miss Wanda’s store and grabbed two breakfast sandwiches, while Chuck disconnected the electric and got ready to go.
We pulled out at 7:20 a.m. and requested an opening of the Alligator River Bridge. A trawler was a few mile markers back, so the bridge tender held up the opening until he got near the bridge.

I opened the dodger because the skipper couldn’t see with all the rain. It was going to be a wet morning.
There was lots of debris in the river and canal. We saw a few trees floating and Boat U.S. was actually towing a tree out of the river.

I read The Bridges of Madison County (great book!) I had never seen the movie, so I really enjoyed the book.

We had planned to anchor at Pungo River SM 127.5, but pushed on to Pungo Creek at SM136 and anchored at 3:30 p.m.

Since it was such a damp day, I’m making homemade chicken soup for dinner to warm us up.

Tomorrow: Oriental, NC

Tonight's anchorage

Anchored in Pungo Creek SM 136

1 comment:

  1. Moved to a slip today - 4 down from Watercolours...rain and wind much if the day.

    ReplyDelete