Wednesday, October 30, 2013

We're in Kilkenny Creek, Richmond Hill, Ga.

Tuesday, Oct. 29

It was a beautiful sunny day on the water. It started out at 66 degrees at 7:45 a.m. and it was close to 80 degrees when we ended the day.

We crossed the border into Georgia at 10:10 a.m. We stopped at Isle of Hope Marina for pumpout because we intended to anchor out the next few nights and there are very few pumpouts in Georgia. It cost us $20 plus a $5 tip and I don’t even think we needed it! Ugh. The gauge was still showing ¼ when it was pumped out, so I adjusted it for next time. THAT was a big waste. No pun intended.

We had a dolphin follow us for a while. I can’t seem to catch a good photo of them with my camera, so I took video and caught a frame from there. See below.

The R.C. Roebling Highway bascule bridge was replaced by a 65 ft. fixed bridge at SM 592.6 since we were here last. We motor sailed on the Little Ogeechee River through Hell Gate into the Ogeechee River. I set up the anchor locker, unlocked the chain, hooked on the remote and as we went by Kilkenny Creek Marina to anchor, we decided to call them to see if we could dock for the night. It was 4:45 p.m.

Yes, we’re lazy. Besides, the Damp Rid bag that was hanging in the bathroom leaked all over the laundry bag and all the laundry was wet and sticky, so I had laundry to do. I forgot about the laundry facility here. It’s one washer for 75 cents and one dryer for 50 cents. And it’s in an old shed full of spider webs. There IS a nice formica folding counter that is clean. That came in handy. Of course,50 cents doesn’t dry your clothes, so I just kept putting quarters in.

I washed three loads. The second one was unbalanced and I had to run the washer again with half in the first half of the cycle to spin them dry and the other half on the rinse cycle to spin. Since it is coin-operated, there was no way to just re-spin them. It was AFTER I rung them all out by hand that I got the idea to re-run the washer with half a load in each half of the cycle. LOL. I got lots of exercise walking back and forth from our long dock to the laundry. It felt good to walk. I must have walked back and forth 15+ times.

They sell fresh shrimp here for bait and they were swimming in a tank. I took a photo. See below.

The old dog that was here on our last trip passed three years ago. I swear, Jazzy remembers where we are and was looking for him!

I made stuffed boneless chicken breast topped with peaches and a sweet and sour sauce, and mixed vegetables for dinner.

I paid bills online tonight. The connection was so slow that it took me two long frustrating hours, in what should have taken me 30 minutes! Oh, the pleasures of traveling in the boondocks!


Tomorrow:  Anchorage in Duplin River, behind the ferry crossing. We can’t cross the St. Mary’s, Georgia, line before Friday due to insurance restrictions.
This morning's sunrise.

Waiting for the bridge to open.

They are taking down the old bascule bridge.
 It was replaced by the fixed bridge in foreground.
This dolphin followed us for a few minutes.

Jazzy laying with mommy.
The boat lift and shrimp tanks

The laundry "shed."
The shrimp swimming.

The transient dock is an obstacle course!

2 comments:

  1. Life looks good. We a anchored just north of Albemarle - a rocking evening, but an early am run planned across the sound to the Alligator marina where we may wait out the weather coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I remember the spider webs in the laundry shed. ECK! I'm sure you got lots of exercise with the huge tide drop and all the steps. I bet Jazzy smells the old dog. The dolphin picture was cool, maybe looking for Sailor :( Miss him so. Be careful anchoring in Duplin River. Tried to post this morning with my phone...didn't work. I figured you didn't her your phone while traveling, I only had a few min before I had to walk into work. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete