Sunday, October 13, 2013

At Solomons Island, Md.

I had planned for a leisurely morning, a big breakfast (after no dinner last night), a hot shower and maybe some laundry this morning. Chuck checked the weather and had a different idea. I woke up to noise in the cockpit. We were going to Solomons Island, Md.

I threw on some clothes, helped him get ready and we pulled away from the Severn House dock a few minutes of 8.

The Chesapeake was a little rough today. I didn't really capture the wave action.
The Chesapeake Bay was not friendly today. It was overcast and winds were a steady 17 knots, but the waves were pushing us, so we made good time, sometimes reaching 9 knots. But I was green after the first hour or so and laid down with Jazzy. As long as I was flat, I was fine. Around 12:30, we got a little break in the wave action, so I got up and made Chuck a sandwich. He only had a granola bar for breakfast. I had peanut butter and cheese crackers. No lunch for me. I was too nauseous.
I don' t know how well you can see it here, but the stove is
gimbeled 6+ inches because we're heeling over so much.

Oops. Left the switch on shower instead of bilge. Here's what we got!
As we were approaching the inlet for Solomons Island, I saw water sloshing around from under the floor boards. Oh no, not again! I checked the bilge petcock under the sink and it was still set to shower, a no no when you’re traveling. I threw it over to bilge and took over the helm, while the skipper drained the water out.


Mommy, I found land. Yay!!
We pulled into Calvert Marina around 3 p.m. Boy, was I happy to be off the water today. And Jazzy was thrilled to see land, after a week of being on the boat!

Gigi, Calvert Marina's labradoodle. What a sweetie.
Jazzy and I went to check in (did I say she was happy to be on land?!) LOL. It’s only $1 per foot for Boat U.S. members, plus $5 for electric, so worth the stop. In the office, we met their labradoodle, Gigi. She and Jazzy were happy girls!

View of Calvert Marina
After my stomach settled down, I made an early dinner: NY Strip Steaks, baked potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Afterwards, I made decaf coffee and we split a chocolate biscotti. I forgot to put the decanter under the coffee pot, so grounds and coffee went everywhere! What a mess. Good thing we were at a dock and had lots of water!

After I cleaned up that mess, I cleaned off the aft cabin bed platform so Chuck could check the hoses and make sure we had no water problems there. Everything checked out.

The bathrooms here are old, but clean, and it felt good to take a long, hot shower! 

Tomorrow we're heading to Deltaville, Va.
Starting to see the traveling "moustache" on the bow.

2 comments: