Saturday, October 19, 2013

Miss Wanda's Alligator River Marina

Friday, Oct. 18:
The alarm went off at 6:15 a.m., Chuck pulled the kellett and the anchor and we were off by 7 a.m. We pulled out the main sail at 8:20 to take advantage of the 16 knots of wind. Near Coinjock, at marker 116 the opening in the ICW was very narrow and it looked like you were entering a little creek. Strange.

At 9:50 a.m., we passed Statute Mile 50. Only 34 more miles to go to Alligator River. I called to make a reservation, which wasn’t needed, because we were only the third boat in the marina when we arrived.
We entered the North River at 11 a.m. Winds were 9 knots from the North and it was COLD! We entered the Amermarle Sound at 11:45 a.m., SM 65.

We pulled in Miss Wanda’s at 3 p.m. for fuel, then into slip #8.

The other Sheet Music that we had heard hailed on the radio was there! It’s a beautiful 45’ Morgan, blue hull. I LOVE blue hull boats! We talked to Mike, the owner, who is moving her south with his wife’s uncle. Then his wife and kids will fly down and take her to the Bahamas.

When he named her Sheet Music, he looked on the Coast Guard site and there was only three other documented boats called Sheet Music, us being one of them. What are the chances of two of them being in the same marina at the same time?!

Mike is from Havre de Grace, but his boat hails from Oriental, NC.

I made ham steak with crushed pineapple, mashed potatoes and green beans from my brother’s garden that I had in the freezer.

I finished reading Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs. What a powerful book. I have one of his heartsongs books that my friend, Kathie Clark, gave me many years ago. I think it’s the first one.  I knew he was a special young man and a peacemaker, but I was unaware of his severe health struggles and all he accomplished in his short life. It should be required reading for everyone.

We took advantage of hot showers in the bath house, had a drink on the back deck and walked around the grounds. Jazzy got to play on the grass where she played with her buddy, Sailor, last trip.


Tomorrow: Pungo River anchorage at Mile 127.5

The captain taking down the radar ball so he could open the head sail.

Miss Wanda's Alligator River Marina

The other Sheet Music, a 45' Morgan from Oriental, NC.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I never saw the movie either but loved the book. It was so descriptive you could just picture it. And Mattie was a heroic little boy. He touched so many lives in his short life. there were so many emotions in that book for me. It sounds like you're about half way through the books I gave you. Wish I had more for you. I bet anything that Sailor was there running around with Jazzy. Jeni has been here once to visit me. I keep asking her to come back but I think she just came to say goodbye to me. I had brought her ashes home that week. I'm enjoying your blog. I just figured out today how to make comments so I hope you are getting them. Can you answer one to see if I get it? I commented on the blog before this one too. Stay safe. Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete