Saturday, October 26, 2013

Happy Birthday to my sister, Susie! Beautiful Day in Charleston

A shout out to my sister, Susie Pettrey, who celebrates her birthday today.

I was up a few times with the dinghy banging against the stern behind my head, so I finally gave in at 1:30 a.m. and tied a flat fender between the boat and the dinghy. Finally, some peaceful sleep. No alarms today, but a seagull woke me up at 8 a.m.!

After I made pancakes and bacon for breakfast, we took Jazzy for a walk to the hardware store to buy oil for the next oil change. Then we went across the street to Harris Teeter
and Chuck stayed outside with her while I picked up a few things that I didn’t get the other night. We took our purchases back to the boat and left Jazzy there.
Granite map of Ireland

Chuck and I walked around the marina and surrounding area. We saw an Irish Memorial, a granite map of Ireland. Then we walked into downtown Charleston. We toured the Old Slave Mart Museum, known as Ryan’s Mart, the last standing building in Charleston where slaves were sold. It was a depressing place. I’m glad we didn’t live in those times. We had lunch at Queology Competition BBQ, where we split a rack of ribs, cole slaw and potato salad and some Coors Light. It was delicious!

We toured through all the vendors in the Charleston Market, a series of buildings in the middle of the street. I resisted buying anything.

I got another load of laundry done when we returned to the marina. No dinner tonight. We’re still full from lunch!


Tomorrow: South Edisto River Anchorage
Old Rice Refinery

Sheet Music at Charleston Maritime Center

Time Capsule...wonder what's in it?

Old Slave Mart Museum

Me posing with a Gas Lantern

The streets are marked with brass plaques in the sidewalk

Carriage Stable

Fountain

No comments:

Post a Comment