Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Settled at Biscayne National Park; Hot and Lots of No-See-Ums!

We left Coconut Grove at about 10 minutes after 10 this morning. The sun was bright and winds were 12 knots.  As soon as we left Dinner Key Harbor, we pulled the sails and turned off the engine. We enjoyed nice and peaceful sailing for about an hour and a half or so, then we started the motor to help us along and charge the batteries, because we'll have no power tonight. We went across Biscayne Bay. I actually got a little sunburn.


The water is a pretty green color and you can see the sand on the bottom. (See photo of the skipper, at left). We arrived at Biscayne National Park at about 3 p.m. There's only about 4.5 to 5 feet of water here max, but we only draw 30" with the keel up.

I can finally start to use my right hand...I'm actually typing with it! I have to ice it down in-between tasks though. It's very, very tender, but the doctor said to use it.

I addressed the kids Christmas cards, but probably won't see a mailbox for at least four days to mail them.

We're at Biscayne National Park. Fee is $20 a night and you leave your money in a drop box. The no-see-ums are awful here. I'm typing this in the cabin of the boat...it's too buggy to go outside...and I'm still getting bit! No power, so no air. It's 84 degrees in the cabin. I'm cooking tonight, so it will be a lot hotter down here later! I keep telling myself that they just had snow at home so we should enjoy the heat, no-see-ums and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment